The City of Fremantle (Perth, Australia) is the second One Planet City. With its comprehensive Action Plan, it aims to achieve a ‘One Planet’ lifestyle for the council, residents and business community by 2025.
An ongoing commitment to sustainable development
Awarded national recognition by Bioregional Australia for its application of the One Planet Living (OPL) Principles in September 2014, Fremantle has been a leader in sustainability for many years.
With a commitment to innovation, efficiency and planet stewardship, the City identified the One Planet Living Framework as the most effective tool to reduce its environmental impact, deliver a higher quality of life for residents and create new business opportunities.
Its current internal ‘Sustainability Integrator’ was trained in using the framework and developed the City’s One Planet Strategy and One Planet Action Plan. With these in place, and a commitment to ongoing sustainable development across all of its operations, Fremantle met the criteria needed to achieve endorsement in October 2015.
The plan outlines the City’s targets across the ten One Planet Living Principles for their internal operations, their vision and aspirations as a whole and the actions to be taken. It will act as a living document to be reviewed annually so that it responds effectively to emerging changes.
Read Fremantle’s One Planet Annual Review for 2015.
- All new commercial, mixed use and multi-residential developments to be designed and constructed to achieve a rating of no less than 4 Star Green Star (Australian environmental construction accreditation)
- Reduce council water consumption by 25% against a 2005 baseline by 2015 and 50% by 2020
- Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions from council travel and haulage by at least 30% by 2020 (from 2010)
- All product suppliers and service providers for the council will meet best practice for sustainable and ethical sourcing by 2020
- The development a One Planet Community Champions group working towards the One Planet Principles on behalf of all residents.
About the partner
The City of Fremantle is a local government authority and city near Perth, Western Australia with approximately 30,000 residents. Priding themselves on responsible social, economic and environmental management, Fremantle became Western Australia’s first carbon neutral city in 2009. The City also has a strong focus on arts and culture and holds world-renowned festivals including Australia’s oldest festival, the Fremantle Festival. In 2015, it hosted the One Planet Fest-a-Con, a three-week celebration of local sustainable culture and achievements.