Sustainable construction services
If you are looking to reduce carbon emissions and improve the environmental sustainability performance of your construction project, BioRegional is committed to helping you. Our team of construction specialists can provide services ranging from technical advice through to embedding a sustainability integrator into your project team.
We are able to help with:
- Integrating sustainability into procurement documents, contracts and tender processes
- engaging site staff and contractors to achieve awareness of sustainability targets
- monitoring BREEAM progress and coordinating evidence collection
- providing on-site technical advice
- managing compliance with COSHH and FSC/PEFC chain of custody.
London 2012 Media Centre
The Media Centre for the London 2012 Olympics is a purpose built venue that will house all of the press and broadcast facilities for the Games. Carillion, principal contractor for the project, appointed BioRegional as Sustainability Consultants to the project from design through to completion on-site. Since 2009 BioRegional staff have been embedded within Carillion’s project team on-site. This on-site ‘Sustainability Integrator’ role has focused on:
- Integrating Olympic Park-specific targets and wider sustainability into procurement documents, contracts and tender interview processes.
- Initiatives and monitoring to engage site staff and contractors to achieve 95%+ segregation of waste arising on-site, consistently among the best on the Park.
- Monitoring BREEAM progress and coordinating evidence collecting.
- Maintaining close liaison across all levels of staff to maintain buy-in and awareness of sustainability and organising relevant training.
- Engaging and auditing subcontractors to ensure sustainability requirements were met or exceeded.
- Giving on-site technical advice for lower impact construction methods and materials.
- Using WRAP’s net waste and carbon footprinting tools to assess impacts.
- Managing COSHH compliance and identifying healthier substitutes with lower environment impacts.
- Ensuring 100% FSC or PEFC certified timber with full chain of custody.
Bicester EcoTown, Oxfordshire
Clients: P3 Eco, A2 Dominion and Cherwell District Council
Our ‘Sustainability Integrator’ role has supported the three clients of P3 Eco (master developer), A2 Dominion (social housing provider) and Cherwell District Council. This full-time collaborative approach has helped to fully integrate the sustainability vision and principles into the 400-home exemplar, including:
- helping to write the detailed planning application for the largest Code 5 scheme in the UK, delivering net zero carbon through 100% on site solutions.
- development of plans for sustainable travel, net biodiversity gain and green infrastructure.
- obtaining Technology Strategy Board funding to support advanced practice on design for climate change adaptation, working in partnership with Oxford Brookes University.