How to become a One Planet Living® Leader
If you have any questions, please do get in touch
Our One Planet Living® Leaders represent exceptional examples of One Planet Living placemaking projects from around the world. Learn how your project could join this prestigious group below.
What is a leadership review?
A review is when you open your action plan to scrutiny from an expert from Bioregional (or one appointed by us). It will include:
- Reviewing the action plan as a whole and providing advice and suggestions on how it might be improved
- Evaluating it against several criteria including impact, systems change, ambition and delivery
- Assessing the action plan against the One Planet Living goals and guidance and industry benchmarks.
- You can then discuss whether your action plan could be candidate for leadership recognition.
Why apply for a leadership review?
The benefits of a leadership review are:
- A clear picture of how your project is doing based on key criteria. How far is your plan in line with tackling the climate and ecological emergency, and where are the gaps? This includes a traffic light-based summary report against all 10 One Planet Living principles.
- Expert feedback on where to improve and recommendations on what to focus on next to have the biggest impact.
- Third-party verification of the content and quality of your action plan for key stakeholders. This will be in the form of a written statement which you may publish along with your plan.
Benefits of becoming a Leader
If your One Planet Action Plan passes its review, the benefits of becoming a leader are:
- Entry into a trailblazing community of organisations leading the way on transformative change, with opportunities for collaboration and knowledge-sharing
- A platform to showcase your work, with media support and advice from the Bioregional communications team
- Use of the prestigious One Planet Living leadership logo
- Evidence of the quality of your One Planet Action Plan to show to key stakeholders, including planning authorities
- The knowledge that you are contributing to transformative change in line with tackling the climate and ecological emergency
- As part of our evaluation process, we will conduct a thorough review of your plan. Our experts will work with you to understand your organisation or project. We’ll review your action plan, and suggest improvements that could increase your impact. Our process is collaborative – we’ll work with you to make sure your plan is the best it can be.
The fees for a Leadership review depend on the construction costs associated with your development, and whether we provide any additional services as part of the review. An initial review ranges between £3,750-£30,000, depending on the project size. Please contact us below to discuss your requirements.
How to become a Leader
To become a Leader, you'll need to have a completed sustainability action plan – one that ideally uses One Planet Living (although it’s not vital). Your action plan will need to be outstanding. If you've yet to create an action plan and you need some guidance, check out our training.
If you've got an outstanding action plan, the next steps are:
- Get in touch with Patrick Clift below to get started
- Submit your action plan
- We review the action plan against our One Planet Living goals and guidance, considering the local context. We’ll provide feedback and opportunities to discuss improvements to your plan (if needed)
- We'll conduct a site visit (where possible)
- We'll arrange an interview with your CEO/project lead
- We'll a deliver a final report from Bioregional
- Sign-off and leadership status will be confirmed
- You’ll be added to our leadership hub alongside other great leaders.
- Your leadership status is dated stamped with the year it is awarded; reviews are needed after that
If you have any questions at all, please get in touch with our Director of Communications and Partnerships, Patrick Clift, using the button below.