Sustainability strategy training
If you're looking to book a group course for your organisation (six people or more), please get in touch at the bottom of this page.
You can also view our full range of sustainability training for businesses or real estate, head over to our business training page.
By the end of this course, you will be:
- Ready to develop an action plan that covers social, economic and environmental sustainability, and feel ready to lead the process within your organisation
- Confident in running a co-creation process to create your action plan
- Connected with people around the world starting their own sustainability journeys
- Familiar with One Planet Living® and be ready to promote the use of the framework
- Presenter-led, with plenty of opportunities to ask questions
- Learn from Bioregional, a charity and social enterprise with more than 25 years’ experience in sustainability
- Learn from the comfort of your own desk, and connect with an international set of delegates
- Workbook and other materials provided to begin your action-planning journey
- One-to-one assistance if you require it
- 10% discount on a One Planet Living leadership review
Our remote training will help you create a bold, holistic and ambitious sustainability action plan for your built environment project, organisation or community group.
Bioregional’s training equips you with the skills and knowledge to enable you to transform a project, organisation, community or household. Following six hours of guided training with our experts, you’ll come away with everything you need to create your own sustainability action plan.
We will introduce you to Bioregional’s One Planet Living® sustainability framework, and the ten principles that lie at the heart of it. Using compelling case studies, we take you through the experience of applying the principles to create a sustainability action plan, and explore the skills and approaches necessary to make change happen.
We’ve been working in sustainability for 25 years and our action planning process is tried and tested with organisations around the world. This isn’t a course on hypotheticals – our training gives you real-world, applicable, useful tools to allow you to create your own bespoke action plan.
A sustainability action plan or strategy is quite simply a statement of what you want to achieve over a given period of time. It's a written document, outlining your current sustainability performance, and your future goals.
We recommend taking a look at our One Planet Living Leaders - each project has its action plan available to download.
The benefits are huge:
- Respond to the climate and ecological emergency
- Future-proof your products and services
- Increase your efficiency
- Win the trust of customers and clients
- Reduce risk
- Enable monitoring and reporting
- Communicate your ambitions
Our training can be used by any business, organisation or community that wants to create an action plan to help people live more sustainably. Whether you’re an experienced sustainability professional, or just dipping your toe into the field, we can give you the insight you need to make a meaningful impact.
If you’re unsure about whether our training is suitable for you, drop us a message at the bottom of this page and we’ll be happy to arrange a chat to find out more about your needs. The framework that underpins the training is highly flexible, and we’ve trained everyone from large companies and housing developers to small charities and individuals.
Each session lasts one-and-a-half hours.
- Session 1: an introduction to One Planet Living - the vision and the sustainability framework. We’ll also start to think about context analysis for your organisation
- Session 2: creating a compelling sustainability vision using collaborative processes. Building an action plan using an outcomes-first approach
- Session 3: an introduction to systems thinking practice. Indicators and monitoring – choosing what to measure to show your progress
- Session 4: understanding change with regards to sustainability. Considering your skillset and leadership potential
Training sessions are remote and we welcome participants from all over the world. In each of the sessions, we use a variety of ways to ensure an engaging and enjoyable experience, including presentations, videos, breakout rooms, group discussion and brainstorming. Groups normally average between six to 12, so the experience is highly personalised, with time to learn about other participants’ projects and organisations.
During the course, you’ll learn about the One Planet Living framework – why it’s needed, how it works and how it can transform and organisation or project, as well as some of the key concepts behind it, including systems thinking.
Experience the action planning journey for you and/or your client: from co-creating an action plan through to implementing, monitoring and reporting on progress, and driving culture change.
The remote course costs £260, and that covers a total of six hours of training with our experts. A limited amount of Early Bird tickets are available for each session at £195 - you'll just need to book early to secure one of these. The in-person course costs £300, with Early Bird tickets at £225. We offer these Early Bird tickets to reward our trainees for committing early - this helps us cover our costs and ensures each session is viable.
A 20% discount on standard tickets is available for non-profit organisations and students. Please contact Joe at the bottom of this page for the discount code.
We hate blowing our own trumpet, so here's what some recent attendees made of it. Following the continued praise for their humour and wit, we're trying to ensure that Ben and Joe's heads still fit through the door.
I was delighted with the course. Joe and Ben are great - funny, knowledgeable and interested in our issues. It worked well for all attendees - we were able to interact despite being on different continents. Low carbon footprint - big win!Donna Stimson, UK, December 2020. Councillor, Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
The One Planet Living training deepened my understanding of the framework, supporting me to lead the process to refresh our sustainability strategy.Paul Tucker, Sustainability Manager at Northampton Partnership Homes
Excellent presentations. Both Joe and Ben have the right communication skills for these webinars, clearly explaining the OPL framework with wit and poise. There was a nice balance of slide presentation and break-out rooms for class discussions.Stowe Talbot, USA, December 2020. Barkley Company / Talbot Real Estate
One Planet Living is our vision of a world where we can live happily within the Earth’s resources, and a straightforward framework to achieve this.
It has been proven to radically cut carbon emissions and achieve wider major environmental, economic and social benefits in billions of dollars worth of real estate, as well as towns and cities, large and small businesses, schools and universities. Most recently, it has been used to underpin the sustainability strategy of the New West End Company, a business partnership representing 600 UK & international retailers, restaurateurs, hoteliers, galleries and property owners at some of London's most iconic destinations - including Bond Street, Oxford Street and Regent Street.
If you haven’t heard of Bioregional, then please take a look around – the ‘About us’ page is a pretty good place to start.
In a nutshell, Bioregional is a charity and social enterprise that was founded in 1994 by Sue Riddlestone and Pooran Desai, two environmental entrepreneurs based in South London, who wanted to develop more sustainable ways of living.