We deliver sustainable, affordable ‘One Planet Communities’ working with community groups and landowners
At Bioregional Homes we build One Planet Communities. These are schemes that use the ten principles of One Planet Living® in design, construction and facilities management to achieve sustainable development – genuinely affordable homes that are zero-carbon, built from sustainable materials, that encourage recycling, food growing and biodiversity, and communities that are great places to live and work. Bioregional Homes is a wholly owned subsidiary of environmental charity Bioregional.
One Planet Living is a vision of the world where everyone, everywhere can enjoy happy, healthy lives within the limits of the planet, leaving space for wildlife and wilderness.
We build One Planet Communities in two ways:
- Working with development partners on urban, mixed-use communities of 50-250 homes such as BedZED in London and One Brighton in the centre of Brighton.
- Working with community groups on smaller schemes of 20-50 homes, where we can tailor the design and cost of the homes to the people who will live in them, responding to local needs.
BedZED in south London is an award-winning 100-unit eco-village with mixed use and mixed tenure. It was completed in 2001 by Peabody Trust in partnership with Bioregional, and designed by Bill Dunster Architects.
One Brighton was completed in 2007 by Crest Nicholson and Bioregional Quintain. This 172-unit car-free development was the world’s first endorsed One Planet Community.
“There’s a real sense of shared values as well as a strong community feel at BedZED. This, combined with the green space nearby and the layout of our streets, makes it a special place to live, and quite unique to London living.” – Dave Tchilingirian, resident of BedZED
From left to right: Sue Riddlestone OBE, Nicole Lazarus, Anthony Probert, Douglas Drewniak, Ronan Leyden, Lewis Knight and Russell Tame.
Get in touch
If you are a landowner, developer or community group interested in partnering with us to create One Planet Communities in the UK, do get in touch:
Russell Tame, Managing Director
Ronan Leyden, Senior Development Manager
firstname.lastname@example.org | +44 (0)20 8404 4880
Development vision for Mincing Lane, Chobham in Surrey Heath
Our development vision is to create a One Planet Community that encompasses:
- Affordable homes – community governance means reduced house prices are protected permanently
- Custom build – occupants and community actively engaged in the design process
- Community living – communal gardens and facilities
- Intergenerational – range of sizes to provide for young people, families to retirees
- Living in nature – maintaining the mature trees and enhancing biodiversity
- Offsite manufacture – UK-sourced low impact construction method and reduced building works on-site
- Net zero carbon – powered using on and offsite renewable energy
- Low impact lifestyles – easy and convenient to make sustainable choices
Image by Edson Yabiku and AIR Architects
Subscribe to our mailing list for news and insights from Bioregional Homes.