Combining affordable and sustainable housing, The Amble Estate in Perth, Australia is using One Planet Living to create a fairer, healthier, happier community
A One Planet Community
Liv Apartments features 166 apartments and approximately 1,300sqm of commercial space. Defence Housing Australia has applied One Planet Living to develop a supportive community, designed to make it easy, attractive and affordable for people to lead happy and healthy lives using a fair share of the earth’s resources.
Liv Apartments' One Planet Action Plan was endorsed by Bioregional for national leadership in One Planet Living in late 2017. It is the second apartment development to be recognised as a One Planet Community in Fremantle in Western Australia.
Creating healthy, happy and affordable lifestyles within a supportive broader community
Liv Apartments' One Planet Action Plan outlines a range of initiatives across the ten principles, along with goals to reduce residents' ecological footprints and increase the quality of life and community engagement.
These include landscaped courtyards with edible gardens, spacious apartments with balconies, energy saving, water and energy-efficient fittings and fixtures, waste reduction strategies and bike facilities.
In addition to applying the One Planet Principles to embed sustainability within the apartment complex, Liv Apartments' One Planet Action Plan focuses on how residents and tenants will live and operate once they have moved in.
Onsite solar array and embedded network
Liv Apartments is designed to operate as an embedded electricity network. The 80kw rooftop solar array aims to meet the energy demand of the residential common areas, retail and commercial tenancies. Offsite renewable electricity purchased by the strata company will be sold to the residential, commercial and retail tenants/owners. Electricity income will be invested in upgrades to the development.
Real-time measurement and recording of power consumption will also give tenants and owners greater control over their energy usage and ensure maximum energy efficiency.
Part of a One Planet Living region
As an apartment block within the City of Fremantle, a One Planet City endorsed with its own One Planet Action Plan in 2015, Liv Apartments residents benefit from the sustainability initiatives implemented in the local government area.
While the One Planet Action Plans for Liv Apartments and the local government of the City of Fremantle are developed for different sectors, and individually assessed and recognised under the international One Planet Living framework, they share the universal 'One Planet' vision which supports mutual goals.
Highlights from the One Planet Action Plan
- Warm, comfortable homes: all apartments will have good ventilation, access to daylight, balconies and reduced energy demand through double glazing and high thermal efficiency
- A sense of community: residents enjoy onsite communal spaces, including courtyards, community barbecue and food garden, designed to encourage conversations between neighbours to foster relationships as well as onsite retail provisions
- Sustainable travel options: visitor and resident bicycle storage and end of trip facilities are provided onsite, with active travel and public transport information for residents, and allocation of electric vehicle charging bays for residents, retail and commercial tenants
- Healthy, happy lifestyles made easy: a resident welcome pack with online interactive resources is designed to encourage residents to live sustainably. There will also be an emphasis on active health and local culture with a place maker to activate resident programs and local art installations in the forecourt and public spaces
- Accessibility and affordability options for a range of apartments and homeowners
- 100% renewable electricity supply through a combined onsite 80kw solar array to reduce peak loads, as well as an embedded network, offsite green power, electric appliances and online energy consumption monitoring and tips
About Defence Housing Australia
Defence Housing Australia (DHA), established in 1988, provides housing and related services to defence members and their families, and undertakes a range of development projects on behalf of Australian government organisations, including the Department of Defence.
DHA is committed to creating vibrant, healthy and sustainable communities that bring defence members and new homeowners together in places they are proud to call home. DHA is a major residential developer, with more than $3.4 billion committed to property construction, acquisition, leasing and upgrade activities in most capital cities and many major regional centres across Australia.
Materials and products
Re-used circa 10,000 recycled bricks, 700m of timber rafters and 80 ceiling tiles from demolition in reconstruction
Culture and community
Community space accessible for all residents provided within the central courtyard
Local and sustainable food
Edible garden for the residents to use and cultivate