One Planet Oxfordshire is bringing together people and organisations across the county to deliver on a co-created vision and action plan for a happier, healthier and greener future for all Oxfordshire residents
One Planet Living in towns and cities
Creating happier, healthier, more liveable cities
Bioregional has galvanised collaborative action by local councils, businesses, schools and community groups in towns and cities across Canada, Denmark, South Africa, Russia, Brazil and the UK, helping to make them better places to live.
From health and happiness to zero carbon energy, the One Planet Living principles have been used in each location. They provide a common language to engage a wide range of stakeholders in sustainability, win hearts and minds, and drive change.
The One Planet Cities
With an 'on-the-ground' partner leading the work in each location, a group of stakeholders has come together to co-create a sustainability plan using One Planet Living. These are
- Oxfordshire, UK: more than 100 organisations including Oxfordshire County Council itself contributed to creating a shared vision for the county, acting as a route-map towards a sustainable future
- Saanich, Canada: Not-for-profit organisation One Earth has galvanised a wide range of stakeholders across all sectors, including all schools in the district
- Durban, South Africa: Bioregional South Africa is working with local organisations to help them create action plans
- Tarusa, Russia: a small local team is working with the mayor to make Tarusa the most sustainable town in Russia
- Elsinore, Denmark: This municipality was supported by Green Transition Denmark, and while it proved challenging to engage stakeholders, several local organisations have embraced One Planet Living
- The district of Vila Mariana in Sao Paulo, Brazil: The sustainability organisation Ecobairro to galvanise stakeholders to create a vision for the 190,000 people-strong district
7.8 million people are now living in 25 towns, cities or city-regions using One Planet Living
Bioregional has trained hundreds of stakeholders in these towns and cities in how to use One Planet Living
More than 100 One Planet Living action plans have been created so far
Join our international network
Through our work with towns and cities, we have created an international network of knowledge-sharing designed to help accelerate change across the world.
If your town or city is using One Planet Living and would like to join our international network, we’d love to hear from you. You will gain:
- support on how to use One Planet Living in your area
- access to limited free One Planet Living training courses
- invitations to online events and meet-ups
- opportunities for peer-to-peer learning and networking
- free resources including case studies, toolkits and training materials